The vineyards at La Gerla lie right on the Montalcino hill at 320 m.a.s.l. right where the slope softens; a small winery which, in just a few short years, has become a great cru of this Tuscan territory surrounded by the Orcia and Ombrone Valleys.
La Gerla was born from the passion of its founder, Sergio Rossi, a successful businessman in advertising and director of three top European branches of a renowned agency, who falls in love with this both bitter and sweet territory and becomes almost a true local loving his vineyards as if they were his children.
This man, with his mischievous and lively grin, knew how to create a little cru here in Montalcino where the most advanced technology unites with the knowledge of farmers and enologists to produce excellent products that come from the Tuscan land and become extraordinary thanks to the handiwork of man which plays a leading role at La Gerla.
The estate, which had the typical local name of Colombaio, belonged to the Biondi Santi family which achieved one of the best Brunellos of the area from there at the time. Sergio Rossi bought the land in 1976 and completely restructured it respecting its original environment. Shortly afterwards in 1978, he created and marketed the La Gerla brand.
At La Gerla, despite big developments and multiple changes, much importance is still given to man and his feelings; listening to what the land murmurs every day, respecting its rhythms and catering to its needs. And maybe it is for this reason that during the last years La Gerla has achieved high scores in the best food and wine guides and in specialized magazines in addition to the praise from wine shops and restaurants.
Maybe each of them, when they drink a glass of Brunello La Gerla or Birba, can sense in the bouquet, in addition to the hints of fruits of the forest or rosemary, a little bit of the heart put there by those who work the land.
Sergio Rossi passed away in July 2011, but what he taught all of us will remain clearly impressed in our memory: in a special way, his great attention to the quality and to detail, which mostly make the difference in these wines, and his philosophy will continue to be a benchmark to allow us to continue to make exceptional wines.
The continuity of La Gerla lies in the Rossi family, specifically Sergio’s wife, Donatella Monforte, who was always by his side and who has brought her managerial experience from the editorial and fashion worlds to the winery.
Over the years, the well-integrated team of personnel worked side by side with Sergio Rossi in his endeavour including Vittorio Fiore, who has been a friend and guaranteed enologist of the winery from the start; in addition to Alberto Passeri, agronomist and general manager; Marisa the “undisputed cellarwoman”; Luca the “unequivocal master of the vineyards”; and Sonia, the office manager.
The property extends over a total of 11.5ha and is complemented with big and modern cellars equipped with the latest technological advancements. The most recent being guest quarters, designed by the architect Baciocchi, which also feature a meeting and tasting room for hosting both clients and importers at the winery.
· Brand: La Gerla
· Established: 1976
· Production: Wine – Olive Oil - Grappa
· Owner: Sergio Rossi's Heirs
· Oenoligist: Vittorio Fiore
· Director: Alberto Passeri
· Location: Montalcino - (Siena) - ITALIA
· Cultivated area: 11.5ha vineyards, 2ha olive groves
· Products: 5 wines, 1 extra-virgin olive oil, 1 Grappa di Montalcino
· Names of (red) wines: Brunello di Montalcino DOCG, Brunello di Montalcino Riserva Gli Angeli DOCG, Rosso di Montalcino DOC, Birba IGT Toscana, Poggio gli Angeli IGT Toscana Sangiovese
· Bottles Produced/Year: 75.000
· Vineyard Names and Year Planted: La Gerla (Montalcino, 1976), Gli Angeli (Montalcino, 1985), Mercatale (Montalcino, 1982/2001), Oliveto (Castelnouvo dell’Abate, 1997), Piano (Castelnuovo dell’Abate, 1992), La Pieve (Castelnuovo dell’Abate, 1998)
· Varietal: exclusively Sangiovese Grosso (Brunello), which in the newer vines includes a combination of the following authorized and certified clones: R24, VCR5, VCR6, VCR30, CH20
· Olive Oil Name: Olio Extravergine di Oliva La Gerla
· Varietals: 4 local varieties: Frantoio, Moraiolo, Olivastra, Leccino
· Bottles Produced: 2.000 (0,50lt e 0,75)
· Markets: Italy + 18 countries: USA (28 States), Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Liechtenstein, England, Japan, Singapore, Mexico, China, Bermuda, and Canada (Ontario, Quebec, Alberta, British Columbia).
· Sales Network: in Italy through 30 reps in the most important provinces, abroad through importers/distributors